Permanent Diesel fuelling facilities were not found on the NYC until many years after 1942. However, switching operations in Buffalo started to be Dieselized in 1939. As was quite common in the early days of Dieselization, fueling was by tanker truck from a local supplier. This is the case here at Fillmore.
A concrete pad made from styrene sheet along with a light stand, trash can, and fire extinguisher make this simple scene. This does allow for an interesting operation whereby an ALCo HH600, working the coach yard, can be brought over (via the turntable) for refuelling…
…provided by this 1941 Chevrolet tanker truck. It is a Mini-Metals model that is flat-coated with Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear lacquer (to take away the gloss shine) and weathered with Testors enamel flat black brush-wash. It was then airbrushed with True Line Trains Flat Glaze along the lower body (which produces a dusty appearance).
When locomotives need to go into the roundhouse for repairs, the fire is dropped at the ash pit and the engine is moved under residual steam into a stall. Inside, a steam line is hooked up to the poppet valve and the boiler water kept hot. When repairs are complete, the steam line is uncoupled, and the locomotive moves under this steam to a spot in the ready tracks. There, the fire is restarted. This reduces the chance of a catastrophic fire that had destroyed many roundhouses over the years. Supplies for this are kept at the fire starter shack, seen below:
This is the ubiquitous Atlas shed along with details from Tichy (kerosene drums) and Scale Structures (garbage can, pail, fire extinguisher and lantern by doorway).